Air Force Wounded Warrior   Right Corner Banner
Home News Hot Topics Transition Assistance Families & Caregivers Library Questions Links Employment Join the Air Force

Transition Assistance

Transitions Assistance Header

The Air Force's commitment to its wounded warrior population does not stop at the base gate. It is the Air Force's goal to ensure wounded warriors and their families are well-prepared for their transition to civilian life. Below are some Web sites that may assist Airmen and their families. For additional information, contact your local Airman & Family Readiness Center.
tabTransition Assistance Program 
Three federal agencies partner to deliver the Transition Assistance Program; the Department of Defense, Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Labor.

TAP provides retiring, separating, and demobilizing members (and family members) with the information, skills, and knowledge needed for successful transition from military to civilian life. Participation in TAP is available to service members and their spouses within 12 months of separating or 24 months of retirement. 

VA Pre-Discharge Program 
A joint Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) program that affords service members the opportunity to file claims for disability compensation up to 180 days prior to separation or retirement from active duty or full time National Guard or Reserve duty (Titles 10 and 32).

Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program
Learn about eligibility, and how to apply for benefits.  The primary focus of the VR&E is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living. The program offers a number of services to help each eligible disabled veteran reach his or her rehabilitation goal. 

For more information on any of these transition services, contact your local Airman and Family Readiness Center or visit Air Force Community Web page.
tabMedical Care 
Airmen who are relocating can contact inTransition and be assigned a personal coach who will offer support during the move between health care systems or providers. A coach gives one-on-one service throughout the transition, makes the connection with a new provider, and provides tools to continue making healthy life choices. All inTransition coaches are skilled counselors who understand today's military culture and issues. They understand and respect the importance of privacy. For more information, visit, or call 800-424-7877; from outside the United States toll free 800-424-4685 (DSN); or outside the United States collect 314-387-4700.
tabEducation & Training 
These links are provided to inform the Wounded Warrior and his or her spouse about available education and training benefits, and to assist you with resumes, cover letters and interviewing techniques.

A Master of Homeland Security is a fairly new degree that developed in recent years as homeland security became one of the top concerns of the government. A Master of Homeland Security prepares students to work in the public and private sectors of security, which have blended in recent years in order to be the most effective. To learn more, click here.

Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, provides resources and support for individuals who have suffered brain injuries. The Preston Family Acquired Brain Injury Program is one of five clinic programs at the Suzanne Vitale Clinical Education Complex located near the campus of Western Kentucky University. The Acquired Brain Injury Program provides laptop computers to wounded warriors who have suffered brain injuries and who are taking online college coursework. The courses can be taken through any college or university, not just from Western Kentucky University. For more information, contact Dr. Richard Dressler at 270-745-2520, or by e-mail at

The Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities:  An educational program that offers cutting-edge training in entrepreneurship and small business management to post-9/11 military veterans disabled as a result of their service to our country. 

GI Bill: General information about active duty & Reserve GI Bill programs including information on eligibility, how to apply, programs covered by the GI Bill, and payment information.

Community College of the Air Force: Offers and awards job-related associate in applied science degrees and other academic credentials that enhance mission readiness, contribute to recruiting, assist in retention and support the career transitions of Air Force enlisted members.

Troops to Teachers: Troops to Teachers is a U.S. Department of Education and DoD program that helps eligible military personnel begin a new career as teachers in public schools where their skills, knowledge and experience are most needed.

Verification of Military Experience and Training - VMET: Information you provide is used to verify your identity and record for the purpose of furnishing certification or verification of any job skills and experience you acquired while on active duty that may have application to your employment in the civilian sector.

 Inside AFW2

ima cornerSearch

tabGet Connected with AFW2

tabContact Information

AFW2 Program Office
Toll Free: (800) 581-9437 
Cmc'l Fax: (210) 565-3385 
DSN Fax: 665-3385
Mailing Address 
550 C St. West, Ste. 37 
JBSA Randolph TX 

E-mail Us

Hours of Operation 
Monday - Friday 
6:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CST) 
Closed Holidays 

tabEmployment Links
tabAdditional Resources
America Supports You logo

Veterans Airlift Command logo

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act